Friday, February 02, 2007

Negativity Addiction

I joined an on-line stress management program through work. I was given a long list of things I should do including: waking up with a smile, chose to be optimistic when you wake up, choose a positive word or phrase to use each day. My idea of looking at the upside is to think: it could be worse…

I then realized that I was addicted to negativity. When things seem too good to be true, don’t you think there must be a catch? If I have low expectations, then I’ll never be disappointed, right? All this negativity helped prepare me for the worst. But when did I start rolling my eyes during happy, sappy scenes in movies. When did I start looking for the faults before the benefits? When did thinking about smiling and positive thoughts just seem stressful and depressing?

There’s definite inner resistance to change. Other than pure will power and practice, there’s not a lot of advice to cure negative thinking. Many guidances say to make it a habit to reject negative thoughts and think positively, whether it’s internal or external. It 's definitely easier said than done. But one author came up with some good ideas at just practicing will power to start choosing your reactions instead “of being slaves to them.” The one I really need to follow is: when you want to say something that is not important, decide not to say it.

Living in New York -where a sardonic attitude is prevalent even encouraged - doesn’t help. It’s like an alcoholic working in a bar everyday. As one article said, negative and positive thinking is contagious. One helpful idea is to surround myself with happier things, ie feel good movies, articles, or even photos. Maybe, I need to pick up and read “Chicken Soup for the Soul.” The idea is to do something to make you smile; I’ll need to think really hard for something at work.

No comments: