Monday, May 23, 2005

Loss

I wish that life was easier in some ways. Or I guess I wish relationships were easier. It seems that all around me, people are breaking up: friends, lovers, family. What is worse: when someone leaves you because of death, and you know you’ll never see them again, or when someone leaves you because they no longer want to be with you, but you know they are well and one day you may see them again? I think there are worse things than death. I think it hurts less if you know someone has to leave you, opposed to knowing that they no longer want you. On the other hand, it is a small comfort that you could see someone you care about again, even if you know that it’s highly unlikely or that it would be better to never see that person again.

I wish that people could just be satisfied with those that care about them and who are currently with them. But there is something perverse in human nature that makes us want something we cannot have. I wonder why we miss and care so much for those who are so wrong for us or who can no longer be with us. Maybe my friends and I are just too young and restless. In the end, I know we’ll all be fine. But in the meantime, I wish we could stop yearning for those who are no longer with us, and just be happy.

No comments: